Friday, August 25, 2006

Bloodcurdling Stereo!

"Bloodcurdling Stereo!!"

That's what I always thought the cover said; that weird juxtaposition in the right-hand corner of the album cover of 'Sounds To Make You Shiver'. This was (and is) my favorite Halloween album of all time-- I'd play it year round. My best friend & I would pretend to be walking thru the obligatory haunted house, on that fabled night. I'd stare into the huge recesses of that mansion on the front, and try to make out the weird & curious items inside....


"What is that, a blimp?"

I can almost recite the written enticement from memory:

"Listen in terror to Count Dracula!
Scream along with his victim!
Go MAD in the Haunted House!
Hear Frankenstein Break Loose!
Horrific Sounds for Halloween Fun!"

Loved the little tombstone that said "R.I.P-- YOU!" Heck, this is how I first learned what "R.I.P" meant-- I asked my Mom why it was on the tombstone, on this album cover.


Ohhh, the stories I could tell. We used to cover our ears during the screams-- my mother was afraid we'd turn into murderers if we listened to all that screaming & started to like hearing it.

I brought the album along with me to college, even... As my new room-mate perused my record collection, I blurted out in annoyed, oh-so-cool fashion, that my father hadn't let me pack any of his Beatles albums--- the guy pulled out my 'Sounds to Make You Shiver', took one look at it:

...and said "Oh, but he lets you keep one with a blazing skull on the cover."

Ahh, a little Deadpan humor.

Submitted now for your enjoyment is my first stab, no pun intended, at trying to make a Halloween audio mix. An updated version, in loving tribute, of the famous Haunted House track from 'Sounds To Make You Shiver'-- Mine's only 7 minutes long, though(the original is about 15 minutes)--- but filled to the brim with some original creepy music of my own & lots more of those great retro-sounding effects.

10/28/06 -- It's back! Shiver 2006, and hopefully it will stay here until Hallowen Night. The file now includes a kooky Halloween dance mix, as well...

Sounds to Make You Shiver 2006

Thanks loads, to Jason and his 'Scar Stuff' blog, for providing me with loads & loads of great old Halloween records to help modernize the ol' Shiver sound-- and yet, to keep it retro as well...

Scar Stuff!


Get the original album from him, too...

I hope you enjoy your visit to the Haunted House...

1 Comments:

Blogger Skullptor said...

Hey Harv. I'm a fellow old school haunt record and general retro halloween nostalgia chaser. I was musing around Jason's scar stuff blog when I spotted your comment about "sounds to make you shiver" lp, and so I thought I'd click on your link and check out your mix you did. It isnt showing up when I click on the link you gave. I have 3 copies of STMYS myself...as well as about a dozen other spook records I've collected over the years. My first one was Ghostly Sounds on the peter pan label. Love it. My cousin had STMYS and I always wanted it, but never found it till I was an adult. Nice to see I'm not alone in my odd hobbies. Cheers!

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home